Mindfulness for Anxiety & Stress Course
Sunday 29th September, 13th, 20th October and 10th November 9.00am-1.00pm
Silent Retreat Day : 3rd November
Yoga Park, Shipmeadow, NR34 8HJ
If you want to explore mindfulness and how it might be applied to your life but find it difficult to commit to the 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course, then this option might be more appropriate for you.
This mindfulness course is based on MBSR, but the syllabus adapted to run over 4 sessions, with two weeks in between each half-day and each half-day covering two of the eight sessions. See below for a comprehensive breakdown of the weekly sessions
As in a regular MBSR course, you will learn different forms of mindfulness practices, including sitting meditation, body awareness and gentle mindful movement.
Who is the course for?
All of us! All human beings sometimes experience being overwhelmed by events, being afraid and being depressed and look for something that will really help. Research shows that mindfulness can assist participants in managing stress, low moods, depression, anxiety, illness and pain management.
What does the course include?
A pre-course consultation to make sure it is the right course, at the right time for you. There is no commitment at this point.
Four sessions x 4 hours each - Sunday 29th September, 13th, 20th October and 10th November 9.00am-1.00pm (16 hours of class time).
Retreat day - Sunday 3rd November.
A balance of teaching, questions and discussion as well as guided meditation practices.
Guided meditation practices MP3 downloads - for home practice (Daily practice of between 20-40 minutes mindfulness practices (comprising formal meditations, mindful movement, mindful walking, mindful eating and mindfulness of a daily routine) is recommended to experience the full benefits of the course)
A workbook to support your practice..
Mindfulness practices are said to benefit individual dealing with the following health conditions or problems:
Anxiety - depression - chronic pain relief - stress management - chronic fatigue - anger - high blood pressure - sleep problems - fibromyalgia
How much does it cost?
The four day course £200.00, including the Retreat Day
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
This 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course was developed by Jon Kabat Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical Centre and was originally designed for people experiencing chronic pain. Today it is offered worldwide and has gained prominence in the world medical community as an effective and systematic approach to the growing problem of stress and anxiety in a broad range of areas in life – work, parenting, relationships, health or those wishing to simply experience more richness in life
In each MBSR course a group of 12-14 participants meet once a week for a 2½ hour session and one half-day retreat. Each week’s class is focussed on a different theme and together we cultivate compassionate ways of being with our thoughts, emotions and body, becoming aware of ourselves so that we can respond rather than react.
Course details – Once you experience it, it’s always available to you
Classes are experimental and involve a mixture of:
- carefully guided mindfulness meditation – lying down, sitting and walking
- gentle stretching and mindful yoga movement
- brief lectures and discussion – exploring patterns of thinking, feeling and action, and how to transform them
- understanding the stress response cycle and learning to be less reactive
- individual feedback and support
- scientific rationale for the practice
- your commitment to daily homework practice using MP3 recordings and course book to help bring mindfulness into everyday life
The programme requires a commitment to daily practice (approximately 30-40 minutes) for optimal benefits. You will receive a workbook and several MP3 recordings to guide you during the course and to support ongoing home use.
Is the MBSR course for you?
The course is designed for beginners, although it’s also open to those with some meditation experience. People participate for various reasons, but they share one thing in common – the desire to find more balance, peace and happiness in their lives.
And, YES, if you would like to……
- Learn the practice of mindfulness meditation in an in-depth, highly practical manner
- Learn gentle yoga movements
- Learn a range of skills and techniques that will help you cope better and manage stress, pain and anxiety.
- Explore your patterns of thinking, feeling and action.
- Better regulate and understand your emotions
- Commit to 45 minutes of practice 6 out of 7 days, over the 8 week course.
- Restore within yourself a balanced sense of health and well-being
- Improve or regain control of your mental and physical health and attain peace of mind.
- Participate in improving your own health and well-being as a complement to any medical/psychological treatment you may have had or be receiving.
By learning to actively participate in the management of our health and well-being many participants report they are better able to manage stress, fear, anger, pain and anxiety both at home and in the workplace.
Over 35 years of research has shown that the majority of those who complete the course report:
- An enhanced ability to cope with short and long term stressful situations
- Reduced levels of anxiety
- Lower pain levels and an increased ability to cope with pain
- A greater ability to relax
- Increased sense of well-being and balance
- Stronger immune system
- Increased levels of attention and concentration
- Improved relationships
What does each week of the 8 week course involve?
Week 1 - What is Mindfulness Meditation?
This week you’ll learn:
- What mindfulness is. & What it is not?
- Interrupt your “automatic pilot”
- Use body sensations as an anchor into the present moment
- Move from ‘doing’ to ‘being’ mode
- Slow down and pay attention to your immediate experience
- Mindfulness practices and the brain
Week 2 – Gathering the Scattered Mind – Coming to our Senses?
This week you’ll:
- Use the breath to anchor you into the present moment.
- “Come back to our senses” to the present moment by tuning into your senses and the breath.
- Notice the flow of thoughts, feelings and body sensations that arise in the present moment.”
- An introduction to the 8 Attitudinal Qualities of Mindfulness
Week 3 – What is Stress? – Learning about our patterns of reactivity to Stress
This week you’ll
- Learn more about the physiological and psychological effects of stress
- What is stress and how is it affected by ‘automatic pilot’
- Notice how our perception (how we see/don’t see things) works and contributes to your stress.
- Bring an exploratory attitude to unpleasant, pleasant and neutral experiences.
- How mindfulness rewires the brain.
Week 4 – Coping with Stress – Responding rather than reacting modes of mind
This week you’ll
- Explore how cultivating mindfulness can reduce the negative physiological and psychological effects of stress reactivity
- Open up possibilities of responding rather than reacting in habitual ways – more choice
- Mindfulness practice cultivates curiosity and openness to all experiences.
Week 5 – Mindfulness of Thoughts
This week you’ll:
- View your present experience as being made up of 3 components – thoughts, emotions and body sensations.
- Learn to be mindful of thoughts.
- Interrupt ruminative thoughts with focus on the breath and body sensations.
Week 6 – Mindfulness of Emotions
This week you’ll:
- View your present experience as being made-up of 3 components – focusing on the 3rd component – emotions
- Move to becoming aware of specific emotions and how awareness will move us out of emotional mind-traps.
- Learn how to focus on positive emotions
Week 7 – Half-day Mindful Silent Meditation & Mindful movement retreat
This week you’ll:
- Use silence as a path for “getting to know yourself” better.
- Develop greater focus in the practice, cultivating sustained curiosity into thoughts, feelings and body sensations.
Week 8 – Cultivating Compassion
This week you’ll:
- Explore how cultivating kindly awareness towards self and others we can find peace and happiness that comes from within.
- Barriers to self-compassion
- Reflect on some options for caring for yourself and making choices in your life.
Week 9 – Living Mindfully
This week you’ll:
- Ask yourself – “how do I feel differently to the start of the 8 week course”.
- Explore and share what you have achieved and learnt through the development of a mindfulness practice.
- Recognise that living mindfully is a process of on-going practice.
- Explore choices for continuing to support this practice in your life.
YOU’LL LOOK FORWARD TO CLASS EACH WEEK
New students are always pleased to discover that the 8-week course is…..
FUN & ENGAGING
Each class is full of mindfulness exercises and lively discussions that will help to keep you present and engaged
GENTLE & EASY TO DO
The gentle Yoga movements we do are easy enough for anyone to do – even if you have injuries or restricted movement
A SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT
Students have the opportunity to forge lasting friendships with like-minded people
MBSR has no religious affiliations, and you won’t have to share anything you don’t want to share
The 8 week MBSR course costs £240.00; this includes
- 24 hours of instruction;
- Participants Handbook for you to keep
- MP3 audio guided practice meditations.
After you sign-up, you’ll schedule a short phone call with me (Jenny) so we can introduce ourselves and you can let me know what you hope to get out of the course. This is your opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the course and to speak about any specific needs or intentions you may have.
To Book your place or if you would like to chat further about the course please give me a call or email
Jenny : 07791 745331
What’s being said about the MBSR course?
It has changed my life and I am excited about this journey I’m on and I will continue this throughout the rest of my life….
I’m calmer, more loving, I drive slower, and I’m more focused – more tuned into my body and thoughts.
The group formed a supportive bond. I liked that no matter how nervous I felt my comments always seemed considered, and after I had made them others started to say how they could relate.
I had some emotional weeks, but felt so much support from the group and Jenny, that I found it easier to deal with my emotions. .. ER – Worlingham
The course has helped me stand back and view daily life from a renewed perspective. I can apply the course to all aspects of my life – I’m calmer with an increase in focus – even happier! …………… DM – Beccles
Thank you so much for this wonderful course – it has been life-changing. I learnt more than I thought I would – I feel calmer, more relaxed and I definitely have more energy.
Jenny is a wonderful, motivational teacher. She delivered the course in a relaxed but professional manner. ……. VH – Beccles
Absolutely the entire course was valuable. The content of each session added different dimensions. I also found the group members really added value to the experience.
I would like to thank Jenny for her knowledge and skill in teaching the 8-week MBSR course. I have developed a regular mindfulness practice, which is benefitting me on a daily basis. I would recommend this course to anybody with a curiosity about mindfulness, and to anybody who want to learn how to manage stress in their lives…… RT - Worlingham
I feel more balanced, calmer, relaxed and I take time instead of rushing. If I’m feeling stressed – I’m aware of my breath and I take myself there when needed.
I am very impressed by the course. I feel mindfulness in my everyday life – mindfully playing and being with my daughter and helping her to become more mindful …… LH – Lowestoft